The 81-Square Universe

An English-speaking shogi community
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Will the computer beat Yonenaga in Januarary 2012?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 13, 2012 07:45
1) Computer beats Yonenaga. 48%  48%  [ 12 ]
2) Yonenaga beats Computer. 52%  52%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 25
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 16:11 
Site Admin

According to JSA, a preliminary match between Yonenaga and Bonkras will be hold at SC24 at 7:00pm(JST) on December 21. The time condition is most probably 30 seconds per move for the game. You can watch it by logging in there. And 9-dan Tanigawa Koji's live commentary (in Japanese) about it will be available to watch at Nico Nico Live.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 17:09 
Site Admin

The rules for the game to be played on January 14 has been announced at Nico Nico Douga in Japanese. Here is my translation of them.

Quote:
*The game is to start at 10:00am on January 14, 2012(JST). The venue shall be at the special playing room of Tokyo Shogi Kaikan (in the JSA building). The allotted thinking time per player is three hours. The thinking time per move spent less than 60 seconds shall not be counted. (If a player make a move by after thinking for three minutes and fifty-nine seconds, only three minutes will be counted as time consumption. A player will make a move within fifty seconds per move if he consumes as much thinking time as two hours and fifty nine minutes.)

*Lunch break will be one hour long between 1:00pm and 2:00pm(JST). Bankras may not turn off the power during the break.

*The moves of Bankras will be replayed on the board by a human player on behalf of itself. Time consumption for Bankras will be measured by computer and that for Yonenaga will be taken by a human record-keeper.

*There will be no limitation for Bankras's setting except for 4KW power consumption at maximum which is required by the venue of the fourth floor of Tokyo Shogi Kaikan. If Bankras would like to use more, it is to be fulfilled in remote operation without overusing the power consumption limit of the venue.

*If Bankras happens to stop during the game, the human developers may fix it. The time for fixing will be counted as Bankras's time consumption.

*Human operation which is to be allowed to be done with Bankras during the game will be limited only to inputs of Yonega's moves and to the fixing operation if it happens to stop for some reason.

*If any trouble happens which is not caused by Bankras, restoration will be done with time off.

*In case that any contingency happens, the players shall accord with the discretion of the official watchman.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 

takodori wrote:
takodori wrote:
Quote:
If a player, more than 400 points less than Bonkras beat Bonkras then would Bonkras lose many points?
I think Bonkras will lose 32 points in that case.

Let me make a correction. In this case, the games are not considered rated ones so no points will change.

Bonkras is lucky to have this rule. I saw Bonkras lose to one player rated 2311. This is rare. How could this be?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:13 

takodori wrote:
According to JSA, a preliminary match between Yonenaga and Bonkras will be hold at SC24 at 7:00pm(JST) on December 21. The time condition is most probably 30 seconds per move for the game. You can watch it by logging in there. And 9-dan Tanigawa Koji's live commentary (in Japanese) about it will be available to watch at Nico Nico Live.

Will we be able to watch Yonenaga play? I want to watch Yonenaga?s face during the game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 

takodori wrote:
The rules for the game to be played on January 14 has been announced at Nico Nico Douga in Japanese. Here is my translation of them.
Quote:
*Lunch break will be one hour long between 1:00pm and 2:00pm(JST). Bankras may not turn off the power during the break.
*The moves of Bankras will be replayed on the board by a human player on behalf of itself. Time consumption for Bankras will be measured by computer and that for Yonenaga will be taken by a human record-keeper.

Bankras will continue computing for the lunch hour, will help Bankras.
Time consumption for Bankras will be measured by computer is a gain for Bankras of a few seconds per move.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 19:42 
Site Admin

It seems that Yonenaga will be Gote(White) as well in the coming preliminary match on December 21. JSA has given a quiz of questioning what the second move(Yonenaga's first move) would be. According to Yonenaga's diary, he would play a weird move for it as an ex-professional player, which might not exist in Bonkras's Joseki(Opening book) file. Usually professional players make P-3d or P-8d as the second move. Sometimes P-5d, P-1d, P-9d, G-3b or R-3b is chosen. So his choice would differ from them. He seems to assume Bonkras's first move will be P-7f. I'm not sure if he would be able to make a weird move in case that Bonkras began the game with P-2f instead of opening his Bishop diagonal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 00:07 
Site Admin

The venue for the preliminary match this evening will be T-Room in Tokyo Dojo of SC24. I would recommend you to login it fairly earlier than the start time of 19:00(JST) if you would like to watch the live-board since it's highly likely to be overfilled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 05:15 

Thx for the information.
But it was no help.

I went for the door just the minute it started and then got the message "max-watchers error".
:'(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 06:24 

Bonkras won the game pretty easy after 85 moves.

The idea of playing 2. K-62 and applying kind of a handicap-setup failed pretty bad.

Maybe playing natural shogi would have been the better strategy.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:56 

I think, that position in the game is very similar to well-known in professional world "Itodani migigyoku"- strategy, despite of strange 2-nd move. But in my humble opinion, 22...P3d instead of P9d would open the white` dead bishop and prevent P6e-attack of sente.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next